Lafayette, LA asked in Personal Injury and Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: Do I have to give money to my deceased dads girlfriend from a law suit that I am a beneficiary of?

She already got a third of everything else, bank accounts investment and house

I told him I would but changed my mind after finding she’s already dating. She 36 and he was 83. No doubt why she got with him

I sent her a text about receiving a check and that I was sending it. But after talking with my sis I realize we are not obligated since the lawsuit is now in our names I hope anyways.

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: More information is needed on this but unless you are legally obligated and/or required to give an amount to your dad's girlfriend, then you do not have to do so. If yoou are uncertain, consider talking to your lawyer in the lawsuit in which you are receiving a check, or if you are not comfortable with that lawyer, then call a few lawyers in your area and set up a consult about this issue. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.