Richland, WA asked in Personal Injury for Washington

Q: A city works employee accidentally spilled chemical on my kids. They have chemical burns on their arms and face. Help

What is my best course of action? Should I seek legal representation or try to settle it with the city?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak
  • Tukwila, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I'm sorry this happened to your children. I know it was not intentional, but that is no comfort in cases like these.

In a case involving burns to your kids' bodies, you should definitely consult with a lawyer. If a government agency is willingly negotiating with you, it's a sign they think you've underestimated the claim.

Either way, you do not yet know the extent of the harm thrust upon your children. Scars can be immensely damaging to kids' mental health. Some scars can be minimized by plastic surgeons. Some scars can cause actual loss of function.

All of these have to be pursued before resolving a claim. You want a lawyer to quarterback that case to make sure you get the best result from a medical, psychological, and legal standpoint.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An attorney consult could also identify for you any notice of claim issues (in other words, short filing deadlines), that are normally associated with cases involving municipalities. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.