Spartanburg, SC asked in Child Support and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: My friend was sentenced to 30 days concurrent how soon can i get her out She is in there for child support

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Generally, if someone is incarcerated for nonpayment of child support, they have been held in civil contempt, and they can be released once they pay the amount set by the court as the "purge payment." The County Clerk's office can tell you how much the purge payment is.

However, if someone has been held in civil contempt multiple times for failure to pay child support, the Family Court might hold them in criminal contempt and require them to complete a specific sentence in jail, and they are required to fulfill the sentence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.