Los Angeles, CA asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: My cousin was convicted and sentenced to a minimum of 12 years in Michigan.

He has several student debt loans. He has never defaulted, but I believe has an IBR or IDR plan in place. Can something be done while he is incarcerated where the collection or reapplying for the IBR or IDR every year stops? Can the

interest stop until he is released?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I do not believe there are provisions exclusive to incarcerated individuals. I think he'll need to contact his student loan servicing agency, or have someone do it on his behalf through a power of attorney form. I would think it's a matter of certifying each year that he has no income (which would be true, most likely), and so his payments should be set at $0 for the duration of his incarceration.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.