Rockport, IN asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Indiana

Q: Was stopped for failing to use turn signal leaving dollar store parking lot at 10 p.m and there were no other cars in

sight to notify of my intentions. The cop was parked down the road on a private lot in the dark. The stop led to more charges. Is his stop justified? I can't find anything about using turn signals being law in this situation. Could a good lawyer get this thrown out? And if so do all the other charges go away if stop was illegal? This was in Indiana.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: Current law requires drivers in Indiana to use turn signals any time they’re about to make a turn or change traffic lanes. Effective 1/1/23. This case arises under traffic ticket law. You need to discuss with an attorney in your jurisdiction that specializes in this kind of law. Thank you for using Justia, Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.