Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Who can represent me regarding a property inheritance and sale negotiation in Puerto Rico, if I live in NY?

My uncle and father co-own two houses and land in Puerto Rico. My father died several years ago and his lawyer has contacted me requesting my birth certificate to finalize the inheritance. My Uncle also wants to negotiate buying my half of the property. Can I contact a lawyer in Puerto Rico to represent me if I live in New York City?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: You can retain the services of an attorney in Puerto Rico, even if you live in New York. You do not state who hired the attorney who requested your birth certificate. Neither do you mention whether you're an only child or whether you have siblings. It seems that your late father did not leave a Will, in which case, your birth certificate would be required for a Petition to the Court to Declare your father's heirs. Even if you did not retain that attorney, as an heir, you still have the right to have him explain the process and provide you with information regarding your father's estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.