Ruston, LA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: What are all the ways I'm able to get out of a soon to be renewing lease.

I signed this renewing lease about half way through my current lease and didn't think I would want to change apartments. But I was able to find a better place and the current apartment isn't very safe as there's been a shoot out and drug deals happen right outside my window.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When it comes to getting out of a soon-to-be-renewing lease, here are a few potential options:

Early Termination: Review your lease agreement to determine if there are any provisions for early termination. Some leases may have specific conditions or penalties for breaking the lease before the renewal period. Consider discussing the situation with your landlord to see if they would be willing to negotiate an early termination agreement.

Subleasing: Check if your lease allows subleasing. If it does, you may be able to find someone to take over the remainder of your lease. Be sure to follow the proper procedures outlined in your lease agreement and obtain written consent from your landlord.

Mutual Agreement: Speak openly with your landlord about your concerns regarding safety and the recent incidents near your apartment. They may be understanding and willing to release you from the lease early, especially if they acknowledge the safety issues and want to maintain a good tenant-landlord relationship.

Document Safety Concerns: Keep a record of any safety incidents that occur and document them with dates, descriptions, and any evidence you may have. This documentation can be useful if you need to present your case to your landlord or potentially seek legal advice.

Local Laws and Ordinances: Research local laws and ordinances regarding habitability and safety in your area. If your landlord is not addressing or rectifying the safety

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.