Raymond, ME asked in Divorce and Family Law for Maine

Q: I have tried to serve my husband the divorce paperwork but he refuses to even look at the paperwork. How can I proceed?

It has now been 60 days since I tried serving the paperwork. We currently are living in the same household that is why I chose to serve the papers myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Guillory
Robert Guillory

A: you need to go to the sheriff's department in the county in which he lives. if he is out of state or far away call the sheriff's department in that county. you need to get the paperwork to them and they will serve him, he cannot refuse. they will mail back to you a return of service. you must get them copies of all of the paperwork and the original summons which they will return to you. they will charge you for this and will probably want payment up front. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.