Chicago, IL asked in Traffic Tickets and Criminal Law for Minnesota

Q: I made the mistake of speeding 39 in a 30 Urban road. Officer cited me as 169.14 2a petty misdemeanor.

I was told to pay it after ten days of it being in the system (it’s been 5 days since the ticket)

To my suprise I received a criminal mandatory traffic court hearing arraignment notice

I’m not sure what happens. I’ve never been in trouble with the law (fully clean criminal record and no traffic violations for years)

I’ll plan on going to court and will call their offices on Monday but this doesn’t add up for a minor traffic violation

Does this sound like a mistake or are they going after me for something I’m not aware of

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Most would prefer to keep a speeding ticket off of their Minnesota driver's license record. To accomplish that, the ticketed driver must avoid paying the ticket, and instead set up a "hearing officer" appointment (in the metro area) or a court appearance to discuss settlement possibilities with the prosecutor. Though the question is a bit unclear, if a court appearance is already set, appearing in court would be the best way to try to resolve the case without a conviction. You mat want to call a defense attorney to discuss.

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: If traffic school is offered for a dismissal, take it. This case arises under traffic ticket law. You need to discuss with an attorney in your jurisdiction that specializes in this kind of law. Thank you for using Justia, Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.