Blue Island, IL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Illinois

Q: Im 20 years old, My grandparents passed away about 2 years ago and left no will. My mom doesn’t take care of the bills.

My mom has not reported my moms death or put the house under her name and I’m wondering if I can inherit it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Goldberg
Michael Goldberg
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If your grandparents did not have a will, the default inheritance rules of the State of Illinois apply. Under the default inheritance rules, the first in line to inherit are the spouse and children of the decedent. Grandchildren would only inherit assets if their parent (the child of the decedent) is not living. If your mother is still living and she is the child of your deceased grandparents then you would not inherit the property. However, you would be next in line to inherit the property upon your mother's death provided she has not transferred it to another party or lost it in eviction or foreclosure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.