Shreveport, LA asked in Bankruptcy and Civil Litigation for Louisiana

Q: Went to court on an unpaid debt. Creditor was granted judgement. I called the creditor to set up payment plan and they w

will not set up payment plan. I have made several offers of monthly amounts that I can pay but they will not accept. When in court the judge told me to call and set up payment plan but now that's not happening. What should I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Did you call the actual creditor or did you call the attorney for the creditor. If oyu called the actual creditor, then I would contact the attorney for the creditor and make the same request----usually they will either discuss your request and pass it on to the creditor, or they will provide you with a more direct contact number of a person for you to contact to discuss your request. If they are not responsive, then I would recommend that you contact an attorney in general practice, litigation otr debtor relief and consult with them about the specifics of your matter and the best way to proceed. Good luck.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Contact the lawyer for the creditor. Usually they have some authority to set up payment plans, negotiate settlements, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.