Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: If my ex husband bullied me with his lawyer in 2019 and has written 50/50 custody but only has had the kids 48 days a yr

And gets to claim one child that he has never financially supported can he get away with this as I have been the sole supporter for them 12 yrs straight

Can I get any back payment for him stealing from me every year on his taxes as well as never helping financially support them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If he did not pay 100% of his child support in a tax year, he cannot claim the child on taxes. The Court can order him to Amend his taxes. You can ask for this as part of an enforcement proceeding.

Don't expect the Court to order that for more than a few years, though.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.