Terre Haute, IN asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Indiana

Q: im wanting to transfer from IN to NJ while being on probation and owing restitution, can i do that ?

im currently homeless here in IN, and my girlfriend said i can move in with her in NJ if im able to be transferred there. my probation officer said that the state of IN will have to approve the go ahead to request a transfer. i told him i will do anything and everything possible to move and i will still keep up with paying on my probation and doing my community service. i just have no support here or anywhere to stay in IN. does anyone think it could be approved ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joel D. Hand
Joel D. Hand
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If you are on probation for a felony offense, it is possible to transfer probation from one state to another. However, there is a process that must be followed and it requires approval of both the sending (Indiana) and receiving (New Jersey) states as well as payment for f a required transfer fee. Approval will depend on many different factors so it is best to discuss the process and procedures fully with your probation officer before making definitive plans to move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.