Asked in Family Law for New Hampshire

Q: Can I pick up my granddaughter she hasn’t been to school in over a year. Can I get her and go to the police from there?

She has not been in school for over a year and I want to go get her. Her father, I believe has been doing drugs and she’s been living in a truck for over a year. Can I go and get her then from there go to the police so I don’t have a kidnapping charge? I want her to come live up here with her family .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II

A: Suggest that you contact the school authorities where she lives, first and they can advise you from there. You don't usually automatically obtain custody of a grandchild without a court proceeding for the protection of the child. This case arises under FAMILY/CHILD ABUSE law. You need to discuss with an attorney in your jurisdiction that specializes in this kind of law. Thank you for using Justia, Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.