York, PA asked in Estate Planning for New Jersey

Q: are their ways around power of attorney?

My aunt has power of attorney over my grandfather. He is pretty healthy and of sound mind. She decided that they are selling his house and moving him. Are their ways to stop this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: So long as your grandfather is still of sound mind, he has the right to change the POA designation. My suggestion is that you and your grandfather schedule a meeting with an experienced estate planning lawyer to discuss the plan to sell his home and whether he wants to change the POA designation to someone else other than your aunt. He may also want to make other changes as well to his estate plan, which can also be discussed with the estate lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.