Soldotna, AK asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Alaska

Q: If my parental rights were terminated and my daughters were adopted by their grandparents, how do I go about seeing them

I live in Alaska.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: It sounds as though your rights were terminated without your consent. If that's the case, then you just have to ask nicely, because it's completely up to the adoptive parents whether they allow visits or not. The prevailing thought on adoptions is that it is good for kids to have some contact with their biological parents if that can be done in a healthy way. So it's your job to convince the adoptive parents that you'll handle the visits in a positive way that doesn't undermine the kids' bond with their adoptive parents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.