Manteca, CA asked in Wrongful Death, Civil Litigation and Personal Injury for Nevada

Q: How long does a third interested party in a civil wrongful death case have to file for an intervention?

Case was filed on the first of June, the statute of limitations ran out on the twelfth. Prior to the filing, drafts of the complaint were given to the plaintiffs, (M-mother of the deceased, S-sister to the deceased by F-father of the deceased &special administrator to the estate of the deceased) subsequent to this (week of the 22nd of May) M was taken by ambulance to the hospital ⁹where she was treated and released, the next day she was found dead, alone in her home. The following week when the complaint was filed, her name had been removed (so the only people now on the complaint are F & S) seeking to intervene in the interests of her estate

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Generally speaking, the right to sue for wrongful death is personal to the statutory beneficiaries of a decedent. Usually, when a wrongful death beneficiary dies, her cause of action for damages arising from the wrongful death of another ceases to exist. Ordinarily, her cause of action does not pass through to her heirs.

Generally, there is a "one-action" rule in wrongful death case pursuant to which ALL of the statutory beneficiaries of a decedent must bring ONE case for the death. This prevents multiple beneficiaries from the death of one decedent from bringing multiple cases in multiple court which theoretically could result in different outcomes.

You should definitely consult with the attorney who is handling the wrongful death claim on behalf of F & S to determine if there is some exception that applies in your particular case. If F & S do not have an attorney, you should seek the advice of a personal injury attorney with experience pursuing wrongful death claims in or near the county where F & S's lawsuit is pending. You should probably also suggest to F & S that they retain an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.