Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Florida

Q: I need to place a lien on a boat but the owner has removed the boat without paying dockage and repairs.

Can i still place a lien now that I don't have the boat??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Eugene Deitz
Adam Eugene Deitz
  • Maritime Law Lawyer
  • Mount Vernon, WA

A: Whether you have a valid lien and if/how you should enforce same are complicated questions of law that you should discuss in detail with an experienced maritime lawyer. However, if the Vessel is documented with the United States Coast Guard, the process of recording a lien is fairly simple. Here's some guidance from the National Vessel Documentation Center:

Samuel Carlson Higginbottom and Tim Akpinar agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.