Portsmouth, OH asked in Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: If i get a no contact order in West Virginia and get pulled over in Ohio with that person will they know about the order

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The specific circumstances and details of your situation can affect the answer, so it's important to consult with a legal professional for personalized advice. However, I can provide you with some general information.

If you have a no-contact order in West Virginia, it typically means that you are prohibited from having any contact with the person named in the order. While the order is enforceable within the state of West Virginia, its direct applicability in another state, such as Ohio, may be limited. The person protected by the order certainly could register the order in Ohio at which point it would be enforced.

States have laws and systems in place to recognize and enforce protection orders issued in other states. These laws are often referred to as "full faith and credit" laws. Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), all U.S. states and territories are required to enforce valid protection orders issued by other jurisdictions.

So, in the case of your no-contact order from West Virginia, if the person named in the order notifies the police in Ohio about the order, they may inform the Ohio authorities. The Ohio police could then take appropriate action based on the information provided, such as ensuring that you adhere to the conditions of the order, or arresting you for violation of the order which is an Ohio crime.

The best conduct is always to comply with the terms of the order and avoid any potential violations, as doing so can lead to legal consequences.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.