Arlington, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: I am given a highway sign violation ticket instead of speeding ticket in a neighborhood. Court or pay online? I am clean

The summon is in general court of Arlington County. I do not want any demerit points in my DL. I have a +1 point in my DL and it has been clean since I started driving.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Faraji A. Rosenthall
Faraji A. Rosenthall
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Paying online is easier and more convenient, but is an admission of guilt to the ticket. Failure to obey a highway sign will result in 3 demerit points being added to your record.

If you want to try to get a reduction, you must go to court and ask the judge to reduce the ticket.

The officer seems to have already cut you a break. Highway sign typically looks better than speeding so the judge may be reluctant to cut you anymore of a break. Be prepared to explain why you are deserving of an additional reduction. The officer likely already knew you had a good record and factored that in. Additional reasons would be helpful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.