Houston, TX asked in Workers' Compensation for Texas

Q: I lost my workers comp case in TX 5 yrs ago. Pain is 1000% worse now. Can I re-open claim?

The carrier claimed my lower back injury was pre-existing & ironically, judge said not enough evidence to show it was an aggravation of prior injury. I have been to 5 physical therapists, chiropractors, ortho doctors & pain is far worse. If this was the simple “strain” the court made it to be, I wouldn’t still be in such pain. My case was denied in 2018. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Probably not.

Many people develop back problems like degenerative disc disease with age.

Many people remain unaware and without symptoms until they suffer a relatively minor back injury like a sprain.

Once they become aware of the problem, they become very attuned to the condition and aware of symptoms like back pain caused by the preexisting degenerative condition long after the sprain has healed.

Since there was not enough evidence to prove that the sprain aggravated the preexisting condition at the time, it would be extraordinarily difficult to show aggravation now five years later. Any attempt would be precluded by the previous decision rendered much closer to the date of the sprain.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.