Beaverton, OR asked in Bankruptcy, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Oregon

Q: What is the law around amending revocable trust, adding child to house title or deed?

He wants to add me to the house title or deed and give it to me through a trust. He owes @$20,000 in property taxes and $60,000 on the mortgage. I believe he has a revocable trust now that needs only to be amended. However, we are unsure about possible issues that may arise due to the deferred taxes, or possibly my inability to be approved to be put on the title or the loan. He filed for bankruptcy in 2016 I think, but the house was able to be saved. we just wanted to know how all of those things may cause problems for us in the event that he passes away. Thanks for your time and advice on this issue.

1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I recommend that your father return to his estate planning attorney to discuss the pros and cons of adding someone to the title of his house. With few exceptions, at his death the mortgage will very likely need to be paid off and the property taxes will need to be paid. If the mortgage company does not allow you to assume the mortgage or you are unable to refinance the loan then the house may need to be sold (unless there are other assets to pay these debts).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.