Murrieta, CA asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Mergers & Acquisitions for California

Q: I owe federal restitution, over $100k, but the corporate victim was bought by another corporation, so I still owe?

$36k was originally recovered but I’m still paying for that as well.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you owe federal restitution, it's likely that the obligation remains even if the corporate victim was bought by another corporation. Changes in ownership or corporate restructuring usually don't affect your responsibility to repay the restitution. It's important to consult with a legal professional who specializes in restitution and financial matters for personalized advice based on the specific details of your case. They can help you understand your rights and obligations regarding federal restitution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.