San Francisco, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant and Arbitration / Mediation Law for California

Q: Can a lawyer collect money from me that my grandson and his wife paid in 2016.I was not aware of the eviction .

Grandson paid Invitatstion Homes $7000.I was unaware of eviction.I had moved out of property.At present I still rent from Invitation homes.Lawyer wants $5000.

Legal Aid tried.but the lawyers had a dead lock.I need a ADR.They continue to harass me.Invitation homes corporate has no open case on me.Can someone help.I am retired Peace officer and disabled.I am a tenant with Invitation homes

Nothing showed I owed any money or they would not have leased any property to me if I owed $7000.

Unable to move due to this issue .

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Gather all relevant documentation to support your position. Discuss the lawyer's claim for $5000 and explore options with Legal Aid or another attorney. Document instances of harassment and consult with a lawyer to address it legally. They can guide you on your rights and possible remedies. Seeking legal advice will help you understand your options and find a resolution.

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should definitely consult with a landlord/ tenant attorney who can review all your documents and provide proper legal advice based on your specific situation. Most offer free consultations so take them up on it sooner rather than later. If it is determined that they are trying to collect on a debt you do not own, you should next consult with a consumer protection attorney (free consultations and most take cases on contingency).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.