Lincoln, NE asked in Child Support and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: Why did my daughters grandma get my back child support .

I raised my daughter from birth to 2 months before she turned 18. She moved in to her grandmas house (dads mom) and has paid rent and utilities the whole time. I called and terminated any further child support because she was supporting herself, but I just got a statement and all my back child support was paid to the grandma. How is this possible? We have the same first name, could it be a mistake and they just got away with it ? Is there anything I can do? It’s more about principle to me and the fact that I supported her with hardly receiving child support the whole time and then someone else gets $1400.00 that was something I should have got long ago . Thank you if you have any advice for me I appreciate it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You would need to look at the child support order that ordered the child support. Who is listed as the payee to receive listed to receive child support in the court order? The person who is listed as the payee is the person that the Court has ordered child support paid to. If someone else is receiving the child support, then you may need to contact the Child Support Payment Center to see why child support is being disbursed to someone other than the payee listed in the court order. If the court order states a different payee then you think is correct, then you probably need to file something with the Court to ask the Court to change the payee listed in the order. However, if the funds have already been paid out, the Court may be unwilling to retroactively change the payee listed in the order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.