Indianapolis, IN asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Indiana

Q: I injured myself on the job and was put back to work in the same area, what type of lawyer would be best to consult with

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If your employer prepared a "first report of injury" form and has taken responsibility for your medical care, there is no need for you to immediately seek the assistance of an attorney. If your employer is not taking responsibility for your injury, you are not covered by any health insurance or Medicaid, or your injury is likely to keep you off work for an extended period of time, then you would contact a Worker's Compensation attorney. Another situation where you may need an attorney is where your doctor places restrictions on you but your employer refuses to observe them.

You have not told us the nature of your injury, nor have you told us whether you have sought any medical care, or whether any medical provider has imposed any restrictions on your activity so it is impossible to answer your question with any greater specificity.

Unlike Illinois and many other states, where the claim is accepted, an attorney has very little to do with getting you more money for your injury in Indiana. In Indiana, your treating physician assigns a PPI (permanent partial impairment rating) once you have reached maximum medical improvement. Once that has been done, the value of your claim is determined arithmetically, from the values set forth in the Indiana Worker's Compensation Act. Indiana has a good website for Worker's Compensation and there are knowledgeable ombudsmen on staff (see website) to answer any general questions that you may have. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.