Detroit, MI asked in Civil Rights for Michigan

Q: How to file a section 1983 claim

Our daughter was murdered. Prosecuting attorny did not inform us of a court date at which a plea deal was put before the judge. Then lied to the judge and said that he met with us and discussed the plea. As a matter of fact, I tried to get him on the phone for over an hour and he refused to speak to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I am sorry to hear this. I don't think this is a 1983 claim though. Has the defendant been sentenced? If you haven't already, you should ask to speak with the elected prosecutor. And if the person hasn't been sentenced, you can certainly speak at sentencing about this. Unfortunately, it won't really change the plea deal if it's been accepted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.