Saint Joseph, MO asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Missouri

Q: I have an outstanding warrant for a crime I did commit, however it says my warrant is for something I was never charged

with. Under my case file, it says it's for stealing, but I pled not guilty, and then missed my trial arraignment. I should only have a warrant for missing my court date since I was never officially sentenced, right? Should I turn myself in?

1 Lawyer Answer
Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Yes you should turn yourself in. But before you do you need to hire an attorney or speak to your current attorney.

The warrant even for failure to appear always references the charges even if you have plead not guilty. Either way when you have a warrant you need to get an attorney and turn yourself in. Running will not make things better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.