Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Arizona

Q: Can my daughter request child support from ex to help obtain a two bedroom and provide the same lifestyle as ex husband?

My daughter moved out of her marital home 1 yr ago due to domestic violence. She left their 9 yr old son w/the husband because she couldn't afford a 2 bedroom apt. She found the most affordable 1 apt . She didn't have a car but finally bought 1 with a really high mo payment. Now 1 yr later, she finally had the courage to file for divorce. She provided a plan for the courts to allow her and her husband to share parenting. Her husband agreed to move to a more afford area as she suggested. She also moved into a new apartment but could only afford a 1 bed. Her husband moved into a new 2 bed. He also purchased a new 2021 Chevy Camero SS. My daughter is struggling to make ends meet but she needs her son. Her husband just answered the divorce filing asking for full custody and taxes. He already claimed the son despite her being home for 6 mo in 2022. My daughter is

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Yes, your daughter can request child support.

But let's be clear on what child support is. First, it's not meant to equalize the living situation between the parents. Second, it's done on a formula. The fact he has a two-bedroom and bought a Camaro are not relevant to how much child support he is going to pay. You can find online Child Support Calculators to give you an idea of what it might be. We're looking most likely at an equal parenting time plan, in those situations, child support tends to not be very much.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.