Palm Harbor, FL asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Florida

Q: I am the executor of my father's estate. I need to know how to keep my father's house insured until the deed is changed.

I was told by the agent that I needed to send the death certificate and a copy of the will showing me as the executor. I did this weeks ago and then received a renewal bill in the mail from the company not showing any change to my father's name on the policy. The current policy which I paid in full ends in 48 hours at the end of June. The company said that the information the agent asked for was not adequate and they need the name on the deed to be changed. That is not possible for months. All I was trying to do was to have the insurance continue during this interim period which surely must be common for executors. Should I pay the renewal bill for $6000 when they know my father is dead? I cannot have a lapse in coverage and the agent is now saying I need a new policy but that is totally impossible. For one, there is work in the middle of being done on the house, second my name is not on the deed and third I don't have the information or time required for an inspection for a new policy

1 Lawyer Answer
Brigid M. Hopkins
Brigid M. Hopkins
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Buckeye, AZ

A: The Estate itself can ensure the property. You may want the assistance of an experienced probate/trust administration attorney to guide you. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.