Overland Park, KS asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Washington

Q: How can I establish a relationship with my biological child?

I recently discovered through a DNA test that I am the biological father of my ex-lover's 10-year-old child. Her husband passed away last year. He was listed on the child's birth certificate, and I was told by her that the child was his. Is there any way for me to establish paternity and to have a relationship with my child?

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you have reason to believe you are the biological father of a child and wish to establish paternity and have a relationship with the child, there are legal steps you can take. If the results show a biological connection, you can seek legal recognition as the child's father through court proceedings. This can involve filing a paternity action, requesting visitation or custody rights, and potentially establishing child support obligations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.