Plymouth, MI asked in Domestic Violence, Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: I want to sue my husband for domestic violence. I have proof of pics, voice, police report. but how do I start?

I was just thinking about divorce with him but, now I want to sue him for mental, physical as well as financial abuse. I moved from 30 years home town NJ to Michigan 2 years ago just to support he's new job. He hated my entire families and friends and end up I kind of stop talking to them and no one I can ask for help. More over, as my boy is getting older, he sees and hears things which he should not know at he's age, I decided to divorce him at the same time I want to sue him for what he deserve. My another intension is I need financial support. After my college graduate until 7 years ago, I never stop working however, since I got pregnent and had baby right after we got married I lived my life as house wife. He is very sensitive and greedy using he's credit card, i decided to get part time jobs in order for manage my schedule for working and take care of my baby. it's long story however, I had to quit b/c of my husband.

I want to be happy with my boy without financal struggle.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Best way to get started is to consult with a local divorce attorney and get the process started. While there is some precedent for suing a spouse for intentional torts, your situation may better support a cause for spousal support.

Keep in mind that Michigan is a "no fault" state - meaning that a divorce may be initiated and completed for any or no reason. Fault is a factor for spousal support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.