Alexandria, LA asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Louisiana

Q: If we don’t own the mineral rights on our land, what rights do we have if the mineral rights owner leased the land and

they are proposing to drill 3 wells on our property, using 9 acres of our 24 acre property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
  • Energy, Oil & Gas Law Lawyer
  • Edmond, OK

A: The answer to this question depends on the state in which you own the property. Generally speaking the mineral estate is considered the dominant estate. This means that as a surface owner you have limited rights. Companies usually want to have good relations with the surface owner and will negotiate with regard to the placement of the wells, roads etc. As the surface owner you may be entitled to surface damages for the use of the acreage. Visit with an attorney in your state.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.