Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Louisiana Energy, Oil and Gas Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Estate Planning, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Louisiana on
Q: I’m Purchasing Real Estate and Seller wants to keep the mineral rights. How many years that they can keep them

What steps must the purchaser take to recover the Mineral Rights from the seller

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
answered on Jan 9, 2021

Usually when a seller reserves mineral rights, they reserve them forever. You might think about negotiating a lower price because you will be getting less than you originally expected, or say no to the reservation of mineral rights, or say yes to only a partial reservation.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Louisiana on
Q: Is indecent behavior with juveniles considered aggravated sexual abuse in the state of Louisiana?

The conviction only involves section A (1).

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
answered on Feb 2, 2019

More information needed.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Louisiana on
Q: If I sign a employment agreement in which I'm to receive 30% of my annual salary as a bonus each year plus an addition %

if the company prospers. Can the company not pay me my bonus because they had to file for reconstruction of the company in court.

Charles Joseph Stiegler
Charles Joseph Stiegler
answered on Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for the question. It's not clear what you mean by "reconstruction in court," but if you are referring to a bankruptcy restructuring, the answer is that companies undergoing bankruptcy may have the right to rescind or reject contracts that were entered into before the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Civil Rights, Energy, Oil and Gas and Land Use & Zoning for Louisiana on
Q: How much would denied inheritance cost? Where do one even began the research or who shall one contact?

Good Afternoon My father has been deceased for almost 34 yrs. While visiting family, my uncle questioned me about receiving my fathers royalties. I informed him I was unaware of what he was talking about. He began informing me that our family purchased a lot of land and we leased part of the land... Read more »

Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
answered on Apr 26, 2017

I would suggest you speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Time delays may apply to limit how far back you can go to collect your father's portion of the royalties. In other words, the longer you wait, the less you may be able to receive in past royalties. As far as cost, attorneys can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Environmental and Legal Malpractice for Louisiana on
Q: Is it legal for the town or city you stay in ,to turn off your water & gas supply, in Louisiana

If your neighbor is caught using your water hose after their water has been cut off?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 3, 2016

If you have paid your gas and water fees, I don't see that it would be.There would have to be a shut off notice for each, I believe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.