Woodbridge, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: I got 2 speeding tickets, over the speed limit, & car not being insured. I want know can I pay and not go to court?

Sorry I got 2 tickets not 2 speeding tickets that’s a typo error. For the speeding ticket, I didn’t pay attention to my speed and was stopped by the police, he said you are speeding and I said I’m sorry I didn’t realize, then he asked if I had insurance and I said no. Due to not having the title of the car yet, so he issued a second ticket for no insurance. He then said I can prepay the speeding ticket but not sure if the no insurance ticket can be prepaid and that I might have to attend court. I really don’t want to go to court and don’t mind paying off the tickets if possible. And what should I do regarding the insurance since the dealer won’t give me the title until I pay off the last amount. Can I add that I also have a quote from one insurance company but haven’t done the payment yet, and will do soon.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: Usually, you can post "bail" before your court hearing and if you don't show, you are adjudge guilty and your bail is forfeited. You have some real problems. The speeding charge will carry points against your driving record and your insurance could go up, SIGNIFICANTLY. (if you have insurance) The charge of not having insurance is usually correctable at least in part. But the fine for driving without insurance can be very high, like $900 or more. If you ever get this kind of ticket, you need to secure insurance THAT DAY, online. Lots of companies will issue a policy if you pay them. I recommend you contact several attorneys in your area that practice this type of law, as soon as possible. Thank you for using Justia ask a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.