Atlanta, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: How can I protect myself if my landlord gave me a lease violation for an incident that occurred while I was at work?

Violation states that an incident occurred on 06/14 between a male individual and the courtesy officer and the officer reported it on 6/28/2023. I not only was at work , no one entered my residence that day except maintenance personnel and I am the only resident of my apartment. I tried to appeal the violation by providing proof from my employer and my home footage but the leasing manager stated the violation still stands due to my domestic violence incident last year. Following the conversation, I feel the complex has now started retaliating by emailing me issues that never came up before following our conversation about the violation. For example, I was told that my utility trailer can no longer be on the property and I have been living there for 2 years and I was also told my front door is damaged which is also not true. At this point I don't know how to protect myself and I fear eviction as the details written on this violation are not true.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To protect yourself, document all communication, review your lease agreement, and consult with a tenant's rights organization or attorney. Respond to any notices in writing, addressing inaccuracies and providing evidence. Consider filing a complaint with the appropriate authorities if you believe you are facing retaliation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.