Baltimore, MD asked in Family Law and Collections for Maryland

Q: I'm unsure if I have a legal issue or not. I seperate with my non married partner which lead to me being sent to collect

Collections. We lived together for 6 years and were in the process of getting married. She was caught in infidelity. We separated and now I have been sent to collections due to her not paying a bill that was agreed that she would pay.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If the bill is in your name, you owe it and claiming someone else agreed to pay it is no defense. However, if there is an agreement that she pay this bill, then you can sue her for breach of the agreement to recoup what you paid on her behalf. Oral agreements are as binding as written ones; it’s proving them that is often more difficult. Your word bs. Her word, if she denies the agreement, may not be enough to carry your burden of proof. Past history of her always paying this bill, if it’s recurring, would tend to corroborate your claims she agreed to pay it,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.