Fayetteville, NC asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: My stepfather didn't put the house in a trust. Do I inherit the house even if the stepsister never lived here?

I'm in North Carolina, and the state only recognizes biological and adopted children unless otherwise noted on a will or trust. My stepfather's daughter lives out of state and has never lived here. The only time she ever visited was to ask for money. I find it worrisome that the nuance of this situation does not protect stepchildren. This has been my home for 30 years. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Take all the documents to a local lawyer and get their opinion. This question cannot be answered without a full understanding of all the facts and a review of the documents.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.