Riverview, FL asked in Small Claims for Florida

Q: I won a case against a company in small courts, they won't pay me. What should I do next?

I sued a Pool company in small claims and won the case but they won't pay me. I filed a judgment lean but I don't know what to do with it and want to know how I can get paid, I tried contacting some lawyers but they won't accept my case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: It is unusual that you are unable to locate a lawyer willing to take your case. There are many, many attorneys who practice in the area of collections, and collecting a judgment is a typical bread-and-butter type of case for most.

Search for an attorney who practices in the area of law called "collections" in or near the county where the pool company's office is located. Many attorneys who practice in this area of law will start work for as low as a $5,000 retainer. In many instances, your legal fees can be added to what is being collected.

If the pool company is still in business, it very likely has bank accounts and pending contracts from which funds can be garnished, as well as vehicles and inventory that can be seized to collect your judgment if necessary.

The only reason I can think that an attorney would shy away from this type of case is if the pool company is out of business, in which case it likely has no assets, or if you are unwilling to pay the attorney for his/her services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.