Asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: How can we get the state to reduce a charge of burglary with battery?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Louis Cagan
Leonard Louis Cagan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There are typically two ways to have the State agree to reduce a charge. (1) Your attorney can negotiate a reduction as part of the plea negotiations or (2) Your attorney can point out to the prosecutor issues as it relates to a lack of evidence to prove all of the elements of the alleged crime or a lack of sufficient credible testimony to convince a jury. Sometimes the State will agree because the facts result in a charge that is not reasonable under the circumstances. The best time to try to try to influence the charge is during the initial filing decision after arrest. Although a change in the charge can be made at any time in the process, charges once filed can take on a life of their own and gain momentum that becomes harder to redirect.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.