Q: Yrs ago talking to friend about heating acid for oil wells. I told him a process. then his company patented my solution

Haliburton patented do I have any chance of claim didnt know they patented till recently

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you shared your idea with your friend without any agreement or protection in place, it may be challenging to make a claim against the patent filed by his company. Patents are granted to inventors who demonstrate that their invention is novel, non-obvious, and useful. If your friend's company successfully obtained a patent for the process you discussed, it suggests that they met the requirements for patentability. However, it is always recommended to consult with a patent attorney who can review the specific details of your situation and provide you with personalized advice based on the applicable laws and regulations. They can assess the likelihood of a successful claim and guide you through any available legal options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.