Energy, Oil and Gas Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Energy, Oil and Gas Questions & Answers
4 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: Oil rights

My uncle died in Oklahoma several years ago, never married, had no children, left no will, and had oil rights. His brother, my father, is also deceased and left 4 children (I'm the oldest). How much would it cost to settle this estate? Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) has this account and... Read more »

Matt Fleischer
Matt Fleischer answered on Oct 16, 2020

The answer depends on many factors, but it sounds like you are probably looking at a joint probate of two estates if you want to legally transfer the minerals from your uncle to your father's children. That being said, bear in mind that if there are liquid assets in the estate (like royalty... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Probate for New Mexico on
Q: My question is about Texas Law. My ex husband wife did not tell the courts about his previous children there was no will

There are oil & gas leases involved that are supposed to go to all the children. They were passed down from their great grandmother , through her descendants, then their descendants, etc., etc. My children were the only ones never notified by the oil producers about their interests

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Sep 22, 2020

It is not clear from the information provided what type of probate proceeding was had, if any, and when. The ability to contest any court ruling will depend on when the proceeding, if any, was held. There is also no indication of when the deaths occurred. If there was no will, all of the children... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for California on
Q: I have common law trust stocks from 1926. The oil company is still in good standing. Need to find out the value.

Inherited stocks from 1926 the oil company is in good standing.

What do I do with these stocks?

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 10, 2020

This is a good question but not a legal one. Contact a stock broker.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Q: Hello, I have large company interested in a five year option to either purchase or ground lease a property I co-own.

The terms to lease the property are really appealing but the company plans to use the lease to secure funding for a green energy project. If I were to lease the property, as a land owner Is there anyway to protect the property from foreclosure in the event company goes bankrupt and creditors go... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 5, 2020

You need the advice of a Real Estate Transaction attorney in your local area to assist you to draft a lease that has forfeiture provisions in the event the lessee goes bankrupt. The creditors cannot go after the property, as you do not transfer title to the property to the lessee, except for the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas on
Q: My Father was contacted by East Texas land and Cattle out of Texas about a month ago regarding suspense account money..

Suspense account is for unclaimed oil money/mineral rights is in a deceased aunts name, dead since 1988. He said that my Dad and his siblings are heirs and he just sent my dad a consulting agreement that says Dad will pay this company 10% of the gross money recovered. There is a section called... Read more »

Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess answered on Aug 7, 2020

You do not give the name of the company, but you are right to be wary of these come-ons. All the companies making these offers that I have run into are scams. You don't need to pay anyone to locate your aunt's mineral interests and get paid. First, go to the Texas Comptroller Website and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections, Energy, Oil and Gas and Public Benefits for North Carolina on
Q: I am having a problem with the City of Shelby, I've been paying my power bill late but never have I not paid it..

I just want some one to help me go through my power bills to explain to me I am 67 and I think they are taking advantage because I don't read well.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 29, 2020

This does not sound like a legal matter that you need to involve an attorney for. Considering the amount of ordinary household utility bills, attorney fees might not be justified. You could see if their customer service department could help explain your bill. If you aren't satisfied, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Illinois on
Q: Hello i need to know what kind of lawyer i need i almost had my home burned down due to a mistake by the gas company .
George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda answered on Jul 24, 2020

You can't sue the gas company for almost doing something. However, you can sue them for actual damages resulting from negligent or incompetent work. Look for an experienced litigation attorney. Suing the gas company won't be inexpensive. If you have a good case, an attorney may take the... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Construction Law, Real Estate Law, Small Claims and Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas on
Q: I received a $1000 water bill for 2 weeks only at my vacant house

Hello, I received a $1000 water bill for 2 weeks only at my vacant house. I did not use any water because I locked the exterior water faucets and interior water shut off valves. When a city private contractor installed a smart point on the water meter, the software went wrong. Then the data... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 21, 2020

A Texas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. From your question, it sounds like you're under the impression this is a law firm, because you ask for representation. This is only a question and answer board. Before pouring money into exploring the possibility of... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Arkansas on
Q: I pumped my gas tank full then got in the car and drove away. A true case of absent mindedness. How do I defend myself?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 20, 2020

An Arkansas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. What you describe could happen to anyone on a stressful day. Contact an Arkansas criminal defense attorney to review the charges against you. It would be good to move quickly so they might be able to subpoena video... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas on
Q: Someone contacted my Father and his siblings saying that there is a suspense account in the name of a deceased aunt

He said it was regarding royalties to mineral rights on land his grandfather owned with his siblings. Its ringing as a scam to me but there has to be some measure of truth to it im assuming since he seemed to have alot of personal information. How can I verify if this is legitimate? Especially if... Read more »

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera answered on Jul 16, 2020

You do not say for how long your aunt has been deceased. Even though it is probably a scam, you can search abandoned property records in Texas or any other state where she might have had any personal property. States have laws that require what they consider "abandoned" or... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Michigan on
Q: I received a default request and entry. Can I still fight this?

I live in Michigan. I was sued over an unpaid balance to an electric company. I tried telling the debt collectors that I had never lived at the address in question. A family member had used my info to get power on at their residence, which they failed to pay. I was served by a packet left at my... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 26, 2020

You can. If successful, you may get a chance to answer, and proceed to trial or try to negotiate with the electric company. It will be tough though. Most process servers are pretty good documenting their attempts to reach you, and if where it was left under the door is your address, you'll... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law, Construction Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Pennsylvania on
Q: How do I find an electrician's insurance information? He is registered in Pennsylvania.

(He will not provide the details himself).

Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Jun 23, 2020

You can also make a claim under your homeowners policy. They will investigate the electrician if it’s covered under your policy.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Energy, Oil and Gas, Environmental and Federal Crimes for Kentucky on
Q: What if the offenders are the government? Military specifically. 6 years worth of proof. I'm lucky to be alive.

The past 6 years. ..have been held on earth, to say mildly. Discredited , I'm SURE I would be ... matter of fact, a point pushed into belief. I just keep hanging on for an end. Some end..any end.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 8, 2020

What is your question? Your narrative is missing some facts on what is going on.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas on
Q: The beginning of May 2020 Van Tx hired a contractor to do was work in our backyard and they had hit a oil pipeline.

and a salt water line and it got in my garden and they are not making that right with me. Than last Friday 05/29/2020 Crossfire pipeline contractor came out to spread dirty and my back yard and they damaged our hard top that goes to our 1994 jeep wragner and they said they are not at fault I have... Read more »

Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess answered on Jun 8, 2020

One important thing is to document the damages with photos, which it sounds like you are doing. Next, get written estimates for repairs. Finally, send the city a certified letter with copies of the photos and repair estimates and request reimbursement. You should copy the city council person who... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: Division order analyst used older deed. Correct deed on file. Now we are 9 mo. after first production. Still no check.

Correct deed on file since 2006. Probate not the problem. No other oil companies have had this problem with having the right mineral deed to work from. Do they owe us the 12% penalty from date of first sale? How do we get them to pay? Do we have to go to court?

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on May 12, 2020

You need to find out from the company whether they have any title requirements that need to be fixed. If you believe that you have clear title send them a certified letter with an IRS W-9 along with your address. Companies are unlikely to pay 12% interest unless they are pressed. If there is an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: An Oklahoma oil company refuses to honor to pay lease bonuses to heirs after a will was probated

I have a probate decree and deeds as proof of ownership

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on May 11, 2020

Dealing with oil companies can be frustrating.

It is difficult to answer your question with the limited facts. Was the property probated in Oklahoma? Who signed the leases? Have the leases been filed?

Many companies are bad about paying lease bonuses even when title is clear....
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: It has been 9 months since first production. How do I get the oil company, Red Wolf, to pay the 12% late fee?

Do they pay 12% for the nine months or only the 3 overdue months? They were trying to use an old title that was not current. I consider this their responsibility to have the correct title as it is easily available. Is this correct? This is for 6 new wells. I am still waiting on my first check.

Chaille Walraven
Chaille Walraven answered on May 11, 2020

In Oklahoma, operators are required to remit payment within six months from the date of the first sale of production. Failure to do so can trigger late interest payments pursuant to 52 Okla. Stat. § 570.10. You are correct that if you have marketable title, you are entitled to 12% interest on late... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: My deceased Father had a 1/3rd share in a mineral rights lease which was probated. The oil company won't honor lease

Who signs a lease when the owner is dead or can't be located? Does the oil company have to give the same lease to my Dads' heirs?

Matt Fleischer
Matt Fleischer answered on May 8, 2020

If the lease is still valid, either because it is in its primary term or has been extended into its secondary term due to production on it, then the lease is still good and the company (and your dad's heirs) must honor it. However, in such a situation, the oil company can escrow any royalties... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Energy, Oil and Gas and Libel & Slander for New York on
Q: Professional reputation damage control (Cease & desist letter? To who/what company? Better options?)

Terminated from contract role after weeks of increasingly hostile treatment from my supervisor (partner at the firm) & another project lead (new contract worker. Old friend of supervisor). I received entirely positive feedback for months until they botched a proposal and lost the client. The... Read more »

V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba answered on Apr 29, 2020

It's also a huge city which is actually very small. Professionals rarely have time to ruin other professionals' lives. They also don't want to give some law firm ammunition for a lawsuit. Remember, it's a one-party consent state to record others so I assume that I am being... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.