Independence, MO asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: In a Colorado civil case, can the court rule ex parte on a motion for extension of time to file response to discovery?

Opposing counsel filed motion for extension of time on Friday evening. It states that I am opposed to the motion. I found his email with his motion Saturday evening; I filed my response Monday evening with the court and opposing counsel. He advised me that the court had already granted his motion Monday afternoon. Can a court in Colorado rule that quickly without giving me a chance to file my objection? Can you give me the Colorado rule that would allow this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: An Ex Parte application is basically a motion with shortened notice to the opposing side. You are usually told exactly the date, time and place where the motion will be heard by the Court so you can go there, personally or remotely, to present your opposition. You can search for the rule on google by looking for "Ex Parte Notice Colorado" I am sure that you will find several references. The Court probably viewed the application as pretty routine, and unless you are substantially prejudiced by this, it is not likely to reverse itself. If you were not provided proper notice, you may have a point to raise with the Court, but if you were provided notice that the application was going to be heard on Monday Afternoon, it was up to you to contact the courtroom before hand if you could not appear. Thank you for using Justia ask a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.