Myrtle Beach, SC asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: being asked to vacate the house I rented for 6 y by the estate admin after the owner passed, what are my rights?

I currently face a situation where the administrator of the estate, without providing a reason, has communicated their desire for my eviction through a text message. No official letter has been received to substantiate this request.

Having resided in the property for over six years, my relationship with the previous landlord was positive until she past away a couple of months ago. We had a verbal agreement in place, which entailed regular monthly lease payments from my end and my commitment to assume responsibility for maintenance, and repairs. In return, I was granted the first option to purchase the property. Alternatively, if the house were to be sold, I would receive compensation for the investments made towards its improvement.

Throughout this process, the administrator has consistently demonstrated an unfriendly demeanor towards me

As far as I know the house is not being sold

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Firstly, file a caveat with the Surrogate of the County where the decedent lived. Also file a caveat with the Superior Court.

Secondly, was the lease oral or written? Your rights may be protected by the terms of a written lease. If oral, what proofs do you have to support the offer of sale in exchange for maintenance of the premises?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.