Reston, VA asked in Probate for Puerto Rico

Q: How to remove siblings as inheritors.

Mother died in Nov 2022 & step-father (who never had biological children) died the following Apr 2023. They left $12K in savings & home with an existing morgage. Four adult children (2 sons & 2 daughters) and dead spouse are currently named in the Certificado de Herederos. Two daughters want to keep the house. One son does not want the inheritance & refuses to respond to all lawyer requests for iformation/documents. The other son was adopted as a baby, disowned his mother, never lived or communicated with her or his siblings. He is believed to live in China. Prior to his death, the step-father repudiated his portion of the forced inheritance, gave his share to the one daughter who had initially purchased the home and later donated it to them. She does not live in the house; however, has continued to pay the morgage, all utilities and maintains the house in good condition. How can the two daughters, who want to keep the house, remove their two brothers & step-father from the deed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Probate Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Any repudiations must be formalized through a deed poll subscribed by the heir who rejects his/her inheritance. If an heir is gaslighting you, you'll need to take the case before a court of law. Who'll either order the heir to formally reply whether he wishes his inheritance or not. If said heir does not appear before a court of law (as is the case with the gaslighter and the the one believed to live in China) their portions will need to be consigned with the court until and if either decides to claim his share. Was the home purchased by your mom alone or was it jointly owned by her and her deceased spouse? Did your late mom's deceased spouse die before November 28, 2020? Did he have any children, or were his parent(s), or siblings still alive at the time of his death? The answer and order of these questions may open up the possibility of there existing more heirs through your late mom's spouse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.