Nashville, TN asked in Collections for Tennessee

Q: I got a call from a collection agency saying I owed for a check loan from back in 2013.

I do not remember ever doing one with them and said it was turned over to collections in 2019. They said it is for over $900 and if i do not pay it they will have me served and i will have to go to court and it will be well over $4000 then. I tried looking company that called up online with no success and even looked on BBB. I do not know to pay this considering i do not know if it is legit or not.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You might ask the collection outfit to send you a copy of your alleged check loan. SOL on worthless check criminal charge has passed. If you ever acknowledged the debt, then 6 year SOL for suing starts then. If sued, make a sworn denial to be filed at Court and served. You will need an attorney, and might need to file a Notice of Exempt Property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.