Upper Sandusky, OH asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: What happens if the plantiff doesn't initiate genetic testing within the 14 days the court told him to?

On June 5th 2023, the plantiff challenged DNA on two children he signed the birth certificate for so he can stall on paying child support. He was given 14 days to initiate the test and I have called and called and it's been well over 14 days and LabCorp hasn't ever heard from him. What can be done to move on with my life? Should I just offer no contact for no child support since he doesn't reach out or see the children anyways. He hasn't for almost two years and I want this divorce done. It was supposed to be a dissolution until I filed for child support.. then he went the very same day to file for divorce to cancel out child support. Please give me some advice!

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Please remember that this forum is no substitute for hiring an attorney of your own. If you do not have an attorney I strongly urge that you get one, especially if you're divorce has been going on for 2 years. If you do have an attorney please pay attention to the advice that you receive. That being said, you need to weigh the value of the support that you should be receiving versus any peace of mind you might have through having your estranged husband give up his parental rights. You could certainly argue that he waived any right to object to support by not initiating the test, timely. Good Luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.