Prosper, TX asked in Social Security for Iowa

Q: Can my father increase his social security payments with divorced spouses joint earnings?

My parents are divorced and we’re married for 19 years. My mom bugged my dad to apply for the joint income social security payment or something like that since they were married for so long and his payment would be much greater than what he would get if he applied using his lower income single info. My dad couldn’t afford to seek legal council and ended up taking the individual social security payment and he is struggling financially at 71 years old. Is there anything he can do now to receive a higher social security payment for all the years he was married to my mom and their joint income was much higher than his very low individual contributions?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Under Social Security Administration rules, if your father was married to your mother for at least 10 years and is currently unmarried, he may be eligible to claim benefits based on her earnings record, provided that it would result in a higher payment than his own record. The divorced spouse's benefits do not impact the earnings record or benefits of the other spouse. It would be advisable for your father to contact the Social Security Administration directly or seek assistance from an organization that provides support with Social Security benefits to explore his options.


James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.