Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Social Security for Iowa on
Q: I want to separate from my husband, or divorce but I'm also trying for ssdi. I don't know if it will effect income.

so I'm wondering if applying for ssdi, should I bother separation or just go for divorce? I have no income myself. My husband makes the money.

Emmett B. Irwin
Emmett B. Irwin answered on Jun 26, 2020

SSDI generally does not have income or asset limits, so it generally doesn't matter whether you're married, separated or divorced. But you have to have been working and paid payroll taxes for 5 out of the last 10 years before you became disabled to technically qualify for SSDI.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Iowa on
Q: Ssi owes me money what can i do?
Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio answered on Dec 31, 2019

Contact your local Social Security Administrative office and request an explanation.

Attorney Scott F. Bocchio

Legal Rights Advocates

P 855-254-7841

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits, Legal Malpractice and Social Security for Iowa on
Q: I filed a SSD claim. Hired a Lawyer. Lawyer did not get medical records in time. Evidence was not allowed into hearing.

2 years of medical records not admitted due to my Lawyer did not get records into evidence.

4 different chronic, progressive, and eventually fatal all because my lawyer missed the timely

submission of these records. Administrative Law Judge angerly told me and especially my Lawyer... Read more »

Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on Jun 21, 2018

In any legal malpractice case the primary issues are: (1) whether your attorney breached the standard of care or in other words, did something (or failed to do something) that an attorney in a similar situation would have done; and (2) whether your attorney’s error is a proximate cause of your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Social Security for Iowa on
Q: I received a large bill for copies of medical records. I asked for a detailed invoice to explain the charges. No answer

While applying for SSI/SSDI, I asked my old psychotherapist to send in a copy of my "diagnosis"/"medical records". Later, I received a bill. It seemed really, really high, so I checked the laws (I saw her in VA, I now live in MI, she now works in IA). All of them say that she... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 5, 2016

Assuming you think you may need her for Social Security hearing, doesn't make sense to get into it with her. Most therapists if they aren't in a big practice don't have someone who copies things, so they either have to hire someone or do it themselves. If it were a hospital or other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Iowa on
Q: If I retire early at 62 can I switch to my ex husbands social security at full retirement age of 66?

We are both single, were married for more than 10 years and he is a year older than me.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 10, 2016

Depends on type of ex. Check with SS office on that. However if he was a spouse, here's the deal:

you look to max by getting your spousal benefit when the spouse retires (not just when you reach age):...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Iowa on
Q: Can we get married while waiting for hearin to get disability. I'm on the dockfet list

We want to get married very much. My fiancee is from Iowa. I'm currently in Georgia for test. Lawyer says I should stay here in the va hospital it will lookgood for his disability. I'm from chicago hthe va flew down to geroga to get specialist on my back. Can we move the hearing up. We... Read more »

Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus answered on Sep 17, 2014

If you have an attorney you should follow his advice. However, marriage does not affect the receipt of Social Security Disability but only the receipt of SSI or welfare disability.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.