Hopewell Junction, NY asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Law in Puerto Rico. Where can I get a copy of my deed . I cannot locate my original? My property is in Boqueron, Puerto

The lawyerI used who was also a notary was disbarred in 2014.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ramon  Olivencia
Ramon Olivencia
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Getting a copy of your deed from a deceased attorney in Puerto Rico is complicated. First, you must contact the district or region on the island where the attorney used to practice, called the Notarial Archive ("Archivo Notarial"). Then, after several days of searching for the deed, they will tell you the government fees to be paid, which will vary depending on the number of pages of the document. These fees must be brought in or sent after purchasing them at a local bank, e.g., Banco Popular. Finally, you have to send or deliver them, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope, so you can get it back by regular mail unless you decide to go in personally. As you can see, it is a pretty tedious process, particularly for a non-attorney. Therefore, if you prefer, you can go to our website, as listed on my profile, and order that document from us directly so that you don´t have to do all the legwork.

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: If you can identify the Boqueron property in the Property Registry, you can identify the deed #, subscription date, and the notary before whom it was signed. If you already have this information, you may call the Office of Notary Inspections to determiner where the notary's deed protocol (his collection of original deeds) is located - probably with the Notary Archive of the town or municipality where the notary practiced law - then request a certifiec copy of the deed.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.